Saturday, September 11, 2010

Those heterosexual missionaries...

Last night Aaron and I went for a walk in the Grasslands. We looked at the stars. I pointed out a few planets, some stars, ancient constellations. Found a galaxy with the naked eye.

He asked me questions about what its like being gay.

I asked him what it was like being straight.

He told me about his loneliness. I told him of mine.

He told me I deserved somebody special. I told him the same.

Just a classic conversation between friends who are getting ready to say goodbye.

I realized that somehow, as a product of some completely unlikely friendship between two people who have no reason to have met, I was talking about being gay in Val Marie. I was honestly talking about the struggles of being a young gay man in Val Marie. Somebody was actually listening to me. It wasn't while I was alone. I wasn't silently crying in my bedroom, or looking for serious emotional support. I was talking about who I am - and I was helping him discover what a gay man can be.

I was happy; almost proud of who I was.

And I woke up this morning with a smile.

That simple conversation changed how I exist on this planet of Val Marie.

I wonder if he knows that...

3 comments:

  1. The Queer Behind the Mirror likes this! Thumbs up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This post sent a tingle up my spine. Great writing and great sentiments.
    This may be one of those pivotal events that happen in your life to prove you're all right, just as you are.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful story, I was referred to this blog by an online friend. I'm going through the same thing, as a 26 year old man. Nice that you were able to open up with someone in person, good for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete